Subject: weeks 9-10 campaign structures
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

Hi,

The following discussion covers the proposed sequence of MIPS tasks
for weeks 9-10, campaigns O,P,Q.  

Doug
---------------------------------------------------------------------

MIPS CAMPAIGN O                                            Time since
Start-up activities, Si and Ge           MIPS-905    35     Ge anneal
IOC Darks, 160um                         MIPS-912    15        24
IOC Darks, 70um                          MIPS-911    30        39
IOC Darks, 24um                          MIPS-910    15        69
24um Flat - routine, Scan AOR            MIPS-914    13        84
160um IC - routine, Scan AOR             MIPS-916    13        97
70um IC - routine, Scan AOR              MIPS-915    13       110
SED Slit Illumination Function           MIPS-299    20       123
Slew State Validation                    MIPS-220    45(70/160phot) 143
Periodic PCRS/STA alignment filter updatesPCS-105    12       188
70um Dark Position Test                  MIPS-080    40       200

Ge Anneal and recovery                   MIPS-930    12       240
Read Noise Stability 1                   MIPS-261    67        10
Electronic Nonlinearities Verification   MIPS-180    60        77
SED Mode Slit Profile                    MIPS-140    40       137
SED Throughput Dependence on CSMM Pos.   MIPS-148    30       177
AOT Cluster Option Validation            MIPS-355    50(70SED)207

Ge Anneal and recovery                   MIPS-930    12       257
Flux Calibration 2                       MIPS-351    83        10
Total Power Skeleton AOT Validation      MIPS-330    55(70/160tp) 93
CSMM Gain Measurement Test               MIPS-081    30(70NF) 148
Periodic PCRS/STA alignment filter updatesPCS-105    12       178
24um Ph/SR AOT Validation, Final         MIPS-321   144       190
Cosmic Ray Limits on Int. Times, 24um    MIPS-250    80       334

Ge Anneal and recovery                   MIPS-930    12       414
Read Noise Stability 2                   MIPS-262    67        10
160um Frame Table Update Sanity Check    MIPS-963    11        77
Photometry of a Circumstellar Disk       MIPS-275    30(70/160phot) 88
Shutdown activities, Ge and Si           MIPS-992    19       118
Downlink tuning and slews                            84
Downlink data                                        24
Periodic PCRS/STA alignment filter updatesPCS-105    12
Periodic IRU Calibration updates          PCS-055    36
Margin                                              115
Time allocation for PCRS and IRU calibrations        72

Comments:  This is our first campaign run using an OPST generated master.
There is no overriding theme to this campaign, and the Ge tasks are the
only thing that drives the schedule.
The first 6 tasks follow the normal startup sequence, plus an SED-mode
IC, which probably ought to be a part of the standard sequence.  The 
flats and ICs are measured in bright sky regions.  The slew state validation
task requires performing photometry on calibration stars on either side of
a very bright source such as Orion, with a slew over the bright source
in between.  This likely requires observations at low Galactic latitudes,
which is why I propose putting it right after the ICs.  This also allows
completion of the task within 3h after an anneal, which is necessary because
the task includes 160um photometry.  The 70um dark position test requires 
very bright sky regions so it is scheduled next.
After the anneal, the first task is the read noise stability test, which 
is required to come right after a thermal anneal.  The second running of 
this test occurs immediately after the third anneal of the campaign.  The 
time separation between the two trials is about 8 hours.  The electronic 
nonlinearities test must be run while the cosmic ray damage is minimal, 
so it is scheduled right after the first read noise test.  It uses internal
stims for illumination and is best run in a dark sky region.  It is being
run well after the CE power-on, so the electronics ought to be thermally
stable.  The next three tasks all involve SED mode observations and are 
likely to be run while pointing at the CVZ.  
The first task after the second thermal anneal is flux calibration task 
MIPS-351, which is a repeat of task MIPS-350 from campaign K.  This task 
is a superset of the usual flux standard tasks MIPS-920,922,924, which 
are performed right after an anneal in the standard startup sequence.  
To match the usual sequence and to assure best array performance, it 
would be best if the MIPS-351 observations were performed in the 
sequence 160um first, then 24um and 70um.  The next task is the total 
power skeleton AOT validation.  This calls for observing a field 
containing a calibration star, which is why it is naturally paired 
with the flux calibration task.  The CSMM gain measurement test also 
involves observations of calibration stars, so it is placed next.  
The 24um PH/SR AOT validation will probably also involve observations
of flux standards, so it is a natural task to put next.  I am putting the
24um tasks here rather than after the last anneal to maximize the time
between the two read noise stability tests.  The last task of this anneal
set is the 24um cosmic ray limits on integration times task.  It involves
observing low brightness sky so will involve pointing at the CVZ, the
same as the tasks that precede and follow it.
The first task after the last anneal is the second part of the read noise
stability test.  This is followed by a 160um frame table sanity check.
This involves a 160um photometry observation and will probably be performed
in the CVZ.  The last task is to perform photometry on a circumstellar
disk.  This task includes 160um photometry so it needs to be done soon after 
a thermal anneal.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------

MIPS CAMPAIGN P                                            Time since
Start-up activities, Si and Ge           MIPS-905    35     Ge anneal
IOC Darks, 160um                         MIPS-912    15        24
IOC Darks, 70um                          MIPS-911    30        39
IOC Darks, 24um                          MIPS-910    15        69
24um Flat - routine, Scan AOR            MIPS-914    13        84
160um IC - routine, Scan AOR             MIPS-916    13        97
70um IC - routine, Scan AOR              MIPS-915    13       110
70um NF Illumination correction          MIPS-313    19       123
Periodic PCRS/STA alignment filter updatesPCS-105    12       142
Periodic IRU Calibration updates          PCS-055    36       154

Ge Anneal and recovery                   MIPS-930    12       190
Flux Calibration 3                       MIPS-352    83        10
Cosmic Ray Limits on Integration Times   MIPS-251    45        93

Ge Anneal and recovery                   MIPS-930    12       138
70um Ph/SR AOT Validation - final        MIPS-323   186        10
24um Red Cross Calibration               MIPS-353    24       196
Periodic PCRS/STA alignment filter updatesPCS-105    12       220

Ge Anneal and recovery                   MIPS-930    12       232
Scan AOT Validation - med speed          MIPS-327   300        10
Shutdown activities, Ge and Si           MIPS-992    19       310

Downlink tuning and slews                            84
Downlink data                                        12
Margin                                               96
Time allocation for PCRS and IRU calibrations        60

Ge Anneal and recovery - delete this one MIPS-930    12       

Comments:  The main tasks in this campaign are the medium speed scan
AOT validation, which builds off of the 24um preliminary scan AOT 
validation from campaign H, and the 70um Ph/SR AOT validation, which 
builds off of the preliminary validation from campaign G.
The campaign starts with a standard suite of startup tasks, including
darks, ICs, and flux standards.  The cosmic ray limits to integration
times involves 70um and 160um observations of dark sky.  It is likely 
to be near the CVZ so involves minimal slew time after the standards.
Placing it here also gets the test completed soon enough after the 
thermal anneal for good 160um array behavior.  If we are pressed to 
save some time, we could place MIPS-323 and MIPS-353 next and eliminate 
another thermal anneal.
The long scanmap is the highest risk activity in the campaign so I am
inclined to save it for last.  That means running the Ph/SR AOT and
red cross calibrations next.  The PCRS task timing would be better if
I ran the scanmap first, so we ought to consider swapping these tasks
around.
There is no reason for a 4th Ge anneal during this campaign.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

MIPS CAMPAIGN Q                                            Time since
Start-up activities, Si and Ge           MIPS-905    35     Ge anneal
IOC Darks, 160um                         MIPS-912    15        24
IOC Darks, 70um                          MIPS-911    30        39
IOC Darks, 24um                          MIPS-910    15        69
Dark Verification, 24um                  MIPS-190    21        84
Dark Verification, 160um                 MIPS-192    16       105
Periodic PCRS/STA alignment filter updatesPCS-105    12       121
160um IC - detailed, Scan AOR            MIPS-307    66       133
70um IC - detailed, Scan AOR             MIPS-306    66       199
24um Flat - detailed, Scan AOR           MIPS-305    66       265

Ge Anneal and recovery                   MIPS-930    12       331
160um Flux standards                     MIPS-924    20        10
Routine 24um Flux standard               MIPS-920    11        30
70um Flux standards                      MIPS-922    12        41
Scan Map of Large PN or SNR              MIPS-285   125        53

Ge Anneal and recovery                   MIPS-930    12       178
Observing Mode Relative Throughputs      MIPS-150   180        10
Periodic PCRS/STA alignment filter updatesPCS-105    12       190

Ge Anneal and recovery                   MIPS-930    12       202
Scan AOT Validation - slow speed         MIPS-328   450        10
Ge Anneal and recovery - during scan AOT MIPS-930    12       160
Ge Anneal and recovery - during scan AOT MIPS-930    12       150
Periodic PCRS/STA alignment filter updatesPCS-105    12       150
Periodic IRU Calibration updates          PCS-055    36       162

Ge Anneal and recovery                   MIPS-930    12       198
Off-axis Glints                          MIPS-317   900        10
Ge Anneal and recovery - during MIPS317  MIPS-930    12       190
Periodic PCRS/STA align - during MIPS317  PCS-105    12       180
Ge Anneal and recovery - during MIPS317  MIPS-930    12       192
Ge Anneal and recovery - during MIPS317  MIPS-930    12       180
Periodic PCRS/STA align - during MIPS317  PCS-105    12       180
Ge Anneal and recovery - during MIPS317  MIPS-930    12       192

Ge Anneal and recovery                   MIPS-930    12       180
70um WF Focal Plane Survey (Fine)        MIPS-133   252        10
Periodic PCRS/STA alignment filter updatesPCS-105    12       262
Periodic IRU Calibration updates          PCS-055    36       274

Ge Anneal and recovery - delete?         MIPS-930    12       310
24um Focal Plane Survey (Fine) #1        MIPS-131   402        10 or 322
Periodic PCRS/STA alignment filter updatesPCS-105    12       412 or 724

Shutdown activities, Ge and Si           MIPS-992    19       424 or 736
Downlink tuning and slews                           231
Downlink data                                        22
Margin                                              377
Time allocation for PCRS and IRU calibrations       168

Comments:  This campaign is dominated by several very long tasks.
The FPS tasks are deferred until late to ensure good CE temperature
stability.
The standard startup routines had to be altered.  The darks follow the
usual pattern.  By imposing the dark verification tests (which check 
to see if dark current is independent of integration time) between the 
darks and the ICs, I guarantee that sufficient time has elapsed to 
allow the Ge fast/slow behavior to settle out.  The detailed flats and 
ICs take much longer than usual so the 160um IC had to be placed first 
based on anneal considerations.  The 70um IC was placed next for similar 
reasons.  The 24um flats are run last.  
The flux standard observations follow the standard startup routine.
This leaves about 2h available for Ge observations before the next
thermal anneal is needed.  The PN/SNR scanmap observation fits nicely
into this window, which is why I placed it next.  Besides, it is my
favorite task in this campaign.
MIPS-150 involves observations of a couple of point sources and of
one extended source with all three arrays.  It needs to be run right
after an anneal to ensure good 160um data, and it takes up the entire
anneal cycle.
The scanmap AOT validation and off-axis glint tests are both long enough
that no special scheduling constraints need be considered.  They will
both require thermal anneals in the middle of the test.  Due to their
length, each test will likely comprise several AORs with thermal 
anneals in between.  These long tests are higher risk than the tasks 
that came earlier in the campaign, which is why I didn't schedule them 
earlier.
The focal plane survey tasks come next.  They were scheduled this late
in the campaign to ensure good thermal stability.  I put the 70um FPS
first for anneal considerations.  The anneal after this task is optional.
I think we would be better served by skipping the anneal and treating
this as a complementary test to MIPS-160, 70um and 160um thermal anneal
behavior.  We would accumulate 11h of cosmic ray damage, and we could
see how the 70um and 160um response to the sky changes during that time,
including a responsivity check and checks for spiking and nonlinear behavior.